Wednesday, March 13, 2013

H.I.T. it! Lose Weight and Feel Amazing

H.I.T. (High-Intensity Interval Training)


High-Intensity Interval Training is a great way to burn excess body fat and take your personal fitness to a new level. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, H.I.T. describes any workout that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less-intense activity or even complete rest. H.I.T. can be performed in a gym using cardiovascular and resistance equipment, or outdoors, as a walk/run or jog/sprint sequence. 

One great thing about H.I.T. is that it can knock hours per week off your workout time by burning more calories and challenging your body's systems at a higher intensity over a shorter duration of time. A typical H.I.T. workout can take as little as 15 minutes per session. When performed three to five times per week, H.I.T. can significantly improve cardiovascular health, promote lean muscle development and decrease your body fat percentage.

A simple H.I.T. workout that can be performed outdoors or on a treadmill is walking at a moderate pace for two minutes, then sprinting all-out for one minute. A similar pattern can be performed on a stationary bike or elliptical trainer. Perform this three-minute sequence five times per session, for a total of 15 minutes. Be sure to include a three to five minute warm-up and a gradual cool-down. 

Another example of H.I.T. is to perform resistance training sets of eight to 12 repetitions interspersed with jumping rope for one minute. The idea is to alternate moderate and high-intensity exercise to optimize benefits to your cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems, in order to achieve optimal results. 

If you've been using the excuse that you don't have time to exercise, H.I.T. can be the perfect solution to get you up and moving toward your fitness goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment