Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Aaron Schwartz

OK, I know I'm a little behind the curve on this one, but a post on my Yahoo Finance feed featuring 29 year old multi-millionaire Alexis Ohanian, techie co-founder of reddit.com, got me thinking.

Aaron Schwarz was a techie-geek who felt strongly that research funded by the tax dollars of "We the People" should be public domain. He was being persecuted and prosecuted by the federal government  for hacking web files at MIT. At the age of 26, he hanged himself.

I, for one, agree with Ohanian and Schwartz that the internet should be open and accessible to all. In particular, I feel that as a taxpayer, I should have access to publicly funded research. And I believe that internet access should be available at no cost to any and all Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment